Thursday, 9 May 2013

Magazine Doodles



hattiestewart.com

So a couple of weeks ago (or however longs it's been, time has been flying by of late) I went to Pick Me Up, a graphic and illustration exhibition at Somerset House. An artist from whom I bought a print from was the talented Hatti Stewart, how illustration work on display mainly consisted of her doctored magazine images. Stewart has a real talent for distorting known images into something far more interesting that they were initially, taking the everyday image of a beautiful woman posing seductively for the camera, Stewart transforms the image into something far more stand out - using patterns, text and big eyes reminiscent of early Mickey mouse disney cartoons.

There is a lot more to Stewarts work than doodling on magazines, I would definitely recommend having a look on her website at all the lovely things she produces. Treat for the eyes.




I thought I might try my hand at it when I was passed a Stylist on the way to the overground, it turns out however, that I don't have a natural talent for this. It's actually a lot harder than it looks. For some reason I ended up turning all the woman I came across in the pages as tattooed crack dealers. Not ideal.




















No comments:

Post a Comment