Saturday, 7 May 2011

Zines

This morning I have been scrolling through zine after zine. Before 8 o'clock however, I  didn't even know what a zine was, and now I'm obsessed (I've even downloaded an app for my phone that previews zines - geeky, I know).




So, a zine is a small circulation publication of original or appropriated texts and images. More broadly, the term encompasses any self-published work of minority interest usually reproduced via photocopier (thanks Wikipedia!)



by Geoff McFetrigde

Now what led me to learning about zines was the publication of a new book 'Behind the Zines: Self Publishing Culture', which looks at an array of zines. The zines that caught my eye were the ones published by Nieves, with the amount of illustrators they have, with the most varied styles makes their website really interesting to browse.


Featured illustrators include...




Wesley Willis


Andre Wekua


Matt Lock


Taylor McKimens


Stefan Marx


Rick Myers


Raffi Kalenderian


Mark delong


Marc Bell


Yukari Miyagi


Flag (dimitri Broquard and Bastein Aubry)

Behind the Zines: Self Publishing Culture edited by Robert Klanted, Adeline Mollard and Matthias Hubner, with text written by Sonja Commentz and published by die Gestalten Verlag 

http://www.nieves.ch/main.html

2 comments:

  1. What's missing in the blog world is the button to like the posts!

    I LIKE THIS ^_^

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! A like button would be awesome! I think I may to email blogger and tell them this xXx

    ReplyDelete